www.flickr.com
n3bulous' items Go to n3bulous' photostream

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Goodbye Treo 700p, Hello iPhone 3G


Apple must have known I wanted to ditch my decrepit Treo because I picked it up today after ordering three days ago, even though they told me 10-21 days. The delivery quickness might be due to ordering the white version, or maybe it is Kharma making up for BMW still not having my motorcycle fixed even though they've had it for a month. From tracking various availabilities on the Apple web site, it seemed that white was in stock more often to black, and I didn't really care about the color as I'll be putting a skin on it. Any recommendations?

Here are my first impressions:
  • The sound quality is awesome. My parents said I sound so much clearer, unlike the fishbowl of the Treo.
  • The UI is a little confusing at first. E.g., sometimes you use gestures to navigate and sometimes you have to click little buttons to go forward and back. Not really confusing, but I was trying to use my gesture-fu only to find it was lacking. Otherwise, no complaints.
  • The keyboard is a little difficult until you realize you want to aim the center of your finger, and not the edge, on the center of the letter. Still would be nice if rotating the phone would always give you a bigger keyboard.
My current list of installed apps:
  • eReader - Gotta have a book to read.
  • Google mobile app - Just testing, seems redundant right now.
  • iWant - So far seems useful for finding things near my location, but it doesn't appear to find the closest movie theater (or I just think there should be one closer than the one it found.)
  • iYardage - Just in case I caddy because I ain't playing golf no mo'.
  • Moonlight Mahjong light - I've always liked Mahjong.
  • Pandora - Wow, this is definitely an awesome app. Needs a buy from Amazon MP3 option... I wonder if Apple would allow it, and will Amazon will sue if not?
  • Phonesaber - No, I'm not happy to see you, I've got a phonesaber in my pocket.
  • Twitteriffic - At least until there's a better Twitter app. This one's good, but the ads could get annoying.
  • VoiceNotes - I thought you could already take voice notes on the iPhone, but maybe the iPhone doesn't sync those. These get sync'd.
More updates as I think of them...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Welcome to the world of iPhone goodness.